The government has postponed plans to outlaw old passports citing poor response to calls for replacement with new ones with electronic features.
Deputy President William Ruto announced the new deadline of 2020 stating that the initial August 31, 2019 cut-off date was not feasible after a paltry 400000 passport holders out of over 2.5 million Kenyans managed to switch their travel documents.
“The deadline is soon approaching and only a small fraction has managed to upgrade their passports to the new e-Passport. The backlog at the immigration will not allow us achieve this,” said Ruto.
The deputy president was speaking while he hosted Kenyans living in Italy on Sunday who complained of difficulties they faced seeking to change the critical travel document.
In diaspora, only London in UK, Paris is France, Washington DC in USA, Pretoria in South Africa, Dubai in UAE and Berlin Germany had been set to start receiving applications for the new passport.
A letter form the Ministry of Foreign Affairs dated November, 20, 2018 asked the Kenyan Missions and Consulates Abroad to prepare in terms of space, secure internet connections and two immigrations officers ahead of the commencement date set on January 14, next year, in the said countries. Read more
More from Local News
- The chief was set a blaze while attending the burial of a police reservist killed by bandits - The assailants …