Juventus sporting director Fabio Paratici said Monday it was not easy to replace a player of the calibre of Cristiano Ronaldo as he also dismissed a return to Italy for Manchester United’s French World Cup winner Paul Pogba.
Ronaldo, 33, joined Juventus from Real Madrid last summer for 100 million euros ($115 million).
The Spanish club have lost three and drawn one of their last four matches and are currently fourth in La Liga.
“Ronaldo is probably the best player in the history of the game so he isn’t easy to replace,” Paratici told journalists at the Manlio Scopigno ceremony at Rieti in central Italy after receiving a “Manager of the Year” award.
Paratici revealed that the five-time Ballon d’Or winner had been keen from the outset to join Juventus.
“We talked about it initially, and straight away we got the feeling he wanted to join us, which was a huge advantage,” he said.
“Real Madrid had a gentleman’s agreement with him, the ownership kicked things off and negotiations began.”
Paratici stressed Juventus’s support for the Portuguese star Ronaldo, currently embroiled in damaging rape allegations.
“Cristiano is a very simple person and an excellent professional, he has all our support,” said Paratici. READ MORE
More from Sports
The search for a missing airplane carrying Argentine soccer player Emiliano Sala restarted Thursday as hopes of his survival began …
Real Madrid may be struggling on the pitch this season but they've certainly had better luck off it. The Spanish giant, …
Liverpool are one step closer to a long-awaited Premier League title, but only just after a seven-goal thriller against Crystal …